Compensation for Occupational Fatalities
There is nothing that can prepare a family for the sudden and unexpected loss of a loved one. The situation is even more difficult to accept when he or she is killed as a consequence of an accident or assault in the workplace. Despite the fact that every job has some sort of inherent danger, the work environment is generally perceived to be a safe space. Accordingly, receiving the news that your spouse or other family member has been fatally injured in that situation is likely to come as a serious shock.
North Carolina workers’ compensation law provides a safety net of sorts for the survivors of an individual whose death occurs due to circumstances of his or her occupation. The compound financial effects of funeral expenses and the loss of income can be devastating. For help gaining the benefits to which you are entitled, contact the Raleigh workers’ compensation lawyers of Law Office of Sam Scudder, at (252) 222-0227].
Important Facts about Death Benefits
Though it is an unpleasant thought to consider beforehand, learning more about the death benefits to which you may be entitled is absolutely essential when your life has been touched by this all-too-common tragedy. Those who may be designated as beneficiaries of this compensation in North Carolina include dependents and legally defined next of kin. Other important facts are:
- A claim must be filed within two years of the death
- The claim must be filed in the names of the beneficiaries and not the estate
- The benefits paid are 2/3 of the deceased’s average weekly wage (up to a statutory maximum)
- Benefits may be paid at most for 400 weeks, except to minor children or a disabled spouse, who may receive benefits for a longer period
- Funeral expenses up to $3,500.00 may be payable
- Medical expenses incurred as a result of the fatal injury are to be covered
The experienced Raleigh workers’ compensation lawyers of Law Office of Sam Scudder, are committed to helping you navigate your way through this difficult time. Contact us today at (252) 222-0227.